Thursday, June 5, 2008

My growing portfolio

Although I studied Fine Arts at College, I feel that part of me has been asleep for the last couple of years...just recently I have felt....."a great awakening" so to speak. As a result my rusty fingers have slowly and honestly quite unsurely re-opened my tool box, dusted off the cobwebs and started to .....close my eyes and let my imagination go! and then i wonder...why didn't i do this before! So this new Simi....the neo-simi! as a part of her awakening ritual is parading...sort of like a peacock i guess...some of my pieces. Some them were completed while I was college and others recently. Let me know what you think. I will keep putting completed stuff on my blog...I think it will help me keep churning out stuff and refine some skills. umm having said that, please excuse the bad photography aye...lighting in my work space is not that fantastic neither is my camera. I am getting these mat framed, afterwhich I am hoping to have my photographers at work can take some clean shots.



This one is called the HEAD DRESS...completed while at College

color pencils on paper


"CAUGHT IN THE HEADLIGHTS"
there is a funny story behind the name...I had a friend enter this in an exhibition, up til that time I had not named the piece, so when she was faced with the dilemna of filling in the entry form, she came up with the name...and well I have used it ever since...lesson...enter your own pieces!
ink on paper

"WAIL"
mixed mediums, pastel and ink on paper
"HAAT" or THE HAND
ink on paper
Completed at college
"THE WELCOME"
When it comes to traditional Indian weddings there are over a hundred rituals, the new brides welcome into her in-laws home is one of them. After topping over a little brass pot of rice she steps into the home and into this tray of red dye and leaves red foot prints on the floor as she walks into the home. Interpretation???? you guess.....
pastel on paper
"WOMB"
mixed medium oil paint and inkk

1 comment:

Sarah/Gwenlliana said...

Yeah Simi, I'm glad you are drawing again. I love your pieces, especially the Orca.
Sarah